Monday, March 2, 2009

Fun, Furry, Food?

Over the years my family has had a number of pets... hamsters, birds, dogs, cats, lizards, frogs, and Guinea Pigs. I can't really explain it but when I was young and had a Guinea Pig, I always wondered if it would taste like a real pig. Was there little bacon in there? Cute and edible; the Guinea Pig or as Peruvian's call it 'Cuy' is considered a delicacy here. I decided to fulfill this childhood fantasy and try some out. My first impressions... kinda like dark chicken meat, and not a lot of it... more bone then meat. The skin is also tough and chewy. This one was roasted and I believe there are probably other, more interesting ways to prepare it.

Peruvian's are serious about their sauces. They've all been excellent so far. The green one on the left seems like some sort of garlic aioli, the middle one was my favorite and was slightly creamy kinda tangy mustardy, the one on the right was fruity and possibly had mango in it. All of them were yummy.

1 comment:

  1. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit thanks man.

    ReplyDelete